Saturday, May 7, 2022 12:00 PM – 2:15 PM ET Portland Ballroom 251
Careers Roundtables and Speed Networking Session
Sponsored by the AAI Minority Affairs Committee
- Tonya J. Webb, Univ. of Maryland Sch. of Med., AAI Minority Affairs Committee Chair
Networking skills have never been more crucial to ensure success for early/mid-career scientists, including those traditionally under-represented in biomedical research. At the session, take advantage of the opportunity to meet in small-group format with accomplished, senior immunologists and others to hear how they have handled the career challenges you now face and learn what they believe will work for you today. Then, practice networking in a relaxed environment offering a structured networking exercise and personalized feedback on communicating your scientific interests/objectives most effectively. Scientists and trainees of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend!
Registration Fee: $30 (Includes lunch)
Discussion Topics and Table Leaders
Grad Student: Finding a Mentor, Setting Sights on Postdoc Training
- Curtis J. Henry, Emory Univ. Sch. of Med.
- Gianna E. Hammer, Duke Univ. Sch. of Med.
- Beth Jirón Tamburini, Univ. of Colorado Sch. of Med.
Navigating Challenges Unique to International Graduate Students NEW!
- Craig Maynard, Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham
- Amal Amer, The Ohio State Univ.
Postdoc: Finding a Mentor, Setting Sights on a Faculty Position
- Claudia Jakubzick, Dartmouth Col.
- De’Broski R. Herbert, Univ. of Pennsylvania Sch. of Vet. Med.
- C. Henrique Serezani, Vanderbilt Univ. Med. Ctr.
- Charlotte M. Vines, Univ. of Texas, El Paso
- Jose Conejo-Garcia, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.
Junior Faculty: Preparing for Promotion and Tenure
- Harlan P. Jones, Univ. of North Texas
- Robert J. Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh
Maintaining Research Productivity at a Primarily Undergraduate Teaching institution NEW!
- Michael M. Opata, Appalachian State Univ.
Academia or Industry: How to Decide (or Switch Sides)
- Isharat Yusuf, Gossamer Bio
- Jonathan Deane, Kumquat Biosci.
- Louis Gonzalez, Shattuck Labs
- Aliyah Weinstein, Taconic Biosci.
- Kiyomi Komori, Arena/Pfizer
Government Agency Careers
- Marta Catalfamo, Georgetown Univ.
- Swinburne Augustine, Envrn. Protection Agcy.
Non-Bench Research Science Careers: Entrepreneurship
- Tonya J. Webb, Univ. of Maryland Sch. of Med; WebbCures, IMMUNE 3D, and Screen Therapeut.
- Eduardo Davila, Univ. of Colorado Sch. of Med.
Non-Bench Research Science Careers: Nonprofits/Foundations
- Derek Haseltine, Hertz Fndn.
- Thandi Onami, Gates Fndn.
Non-Bench Research Science Careers: Research Technology
- Robert Balderas, BD Biosci.
Non-Bench Research Science Careers: Science Policy
- Lauren Gross, AAI
- Yvette Seger, FASEB
Non-Bench Research Science Careers: Scientific Publishing
- Nicole Beauchamp, AAI