Abstract Submissions Open
Nov. 2, 2021
Abstract Submissions Close
Dec. 20, 2021*
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION FEES
PLEASE NOTE: Your abstract submission fee is NOT your meeting registration fee. Abstract submission fees are not refundable.
Poster Presentation Guidelines
Poster Session Policies
- All accepted abstracts, including those selected for a podium presentation, are required to be presented as a poster.
- Posters are viewable for one day only.
- Posters are to be placed between 7:30 AM and 9:30 AM on the assigned day, on the assigned board. All first authors must be present at their poster between the hours of 2:30 PM and 3:45 PM on their assigned day.
- Any authors failing to
- display their poster throughout their assigned day, and/or
- be present during their assigned poster session will forfeit publication of their abstract in the online Supplement to The Journal of Immunology. Corresponding AAI travel awardees will, additionally, forfeit their award.
- Posters are to remain up until 3:45 PM and removed by 4:30 PM on the assigned day; posters not removed will be discarded.
- Video recording or photographing of posters without the permission of the author is forbidden. First authors are allowed to photograph their own posters.
Note: No scientific sessions are scheduled during the Poster Session times!
Poster Dimensions and Style Guidelines
The poster dimensions are 3’9″ high and 3’9″ wide. Prepare a 6″ high headline strip that runs the full width of the poster. Include the title, authors, and affiliations on the strip in letters not less than 1″ high. Post a large-typed copy of your abstract in the upper left-hand corner. Be sure to note these dimensions as you will not be permitted to extend into another presenter’s space. Click on the thumbnail at right to see a sample.
Poster Presentation Guidelines
Posters should be legible at a distance of 5 feet. The message should be clear and comprehensible without oral explanation. The following guidelines have been prepared to help improve the effectiveness of poster communication.
- Initial Sketch – Plan your poster early. Focus your attention on a few key points. Try various styles of data presentation to achieve clarity and simplicity. Does the use of color help? What needs to be expressed in words? Suggest headlines and text topics.
- Rough Layout – Enlarge your best initial sketch, keeping the dimensions in proportion to the final poster (see diagram). Ideally, the rough layout should be full size. A blackboard is a convenient place to work. Print the title and headlines. Indicate text by horizontal lines. Draw rough graphs and tables. This will give you a good idea of proportions and balance. Ask associates for comments. This is still an experimental stage.
- Text Layout – Avoid abbreviations, acronyms, and jargon. Use a consistent font throughout. It is recommended that authors use a 20-point font size; this makes the text legible from 5 feet away.
- Final Layout – The artwork is complete and the text and tables are typed, but not necessarily enlarged to full size. Now ask, is the message clear? Do the important points stand out? Is there a balance between words and illustrations? Is there spatial balance? Is the pathway through the poster clear?
- Balance – Figures and tables should cover slightly more than 50% of the poster area. If you have only a few illustrations, enlarge them. Do not omit text, but keep it brief. The poster should be comprehensible without oral explanation.
- Eye Movement – The movement (pathway) of the eye over the poster should be natural, down the columns or along the rows. Size attracts attention. Arrows, pointing hands, numbers, and letters can help clarify the sequence.
- Simplicity – Resist the temptation to overload the poster. More material may mean less communication.
- A limited supply of pushpins will be available on a first-come first-served basis. Please bring additional supplies with you.
Discounted Poster Printing Services for AAI Meeting Attendees
Starting February 5, 2022, PosterSmith is offering a 30% discount for wrinkle-resistant fabric posters with complimentary shipping and handling through April 5, 2022.
To place an order and to get the discount, visit https://postersmith.com/poster/sponsor/aai2022.
After April 5, 2022, receive a $15 discount with the coupon code AAI2022.
Contact Customer Service, PosterSmith.com, 617-383-7772.
Printing Once in Portland
FedEx Office is offering standard 24 hour or less turnaround time once you’re on-site. (They will always TRY to accommodate everyone’s deadlines) One edge has to be 41 inches. They can print 41”x48” posters @ $8 per sqft. (approx. $110).
Please submit orders to printonline.fedex.com.
1605 NE 7th Avenue
Portland, OR 97232
Located less than 1 mile from the Oregon Convention Center (approximately a 10-minute walk).
Monday through Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Sunday: 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM