Sunday, May 8, 2022 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM ET Portland Ballroom 251
Careers in Science Lecture and Roundtables
Sponsored by the AAI Education Committee and AAI Committee on the Status of Women
Generously supported by 10x Genomics
- Laura A. Solt, Scripps Res., AAI Committee on the Status of Women Chair
- Gwendalyn J. Randolph, Washington Univ. Sch. of Med. in St. Louis, Becoming a confident scientist and embracing your authentic self
At this popular session, attendees will have the opportunity to meet with experienced scientists to explore specific career issues important to today’s scientists. Gain insights into issues you are confronting in your own career. Topics include international opportunities in science, succeeding in graduate school, tips on grant writing, considerations for scientists in M.D.-Ph.D. careers, and exciting careers beyond the bench. Topics include building productive mentor/mentee relationships; overcoming self-doubt; and tackling gender biases in recruitment, research, and leadership; and navigating work/life issues, such as balancing careers with family and transitioning from specific career stages, which may be relevant to any work environment (academic research, biotech industry, governmental agencies, non-profit). Don’t miss this great opportunity!
Discussion Topics and Table Leaders
New PI (mentoring effectively, recruiting students and postdocs, preparing for promotion, early career self-promotion)
- Irene Salinas, Univ. of New Mexico, and Qi Yang, Rutgers Univ.
- Robin Stephens, Univ. of Texas Med. Br., and Isabella Rauch, Oregon Hlth. Sci. Univ.
Succeeding in Graduate School
- Laura Solt, Scripps Res., and Maureen McGargill, St. Jude Children’s Res. Hosp.
Graduate Student to Postdoc
- Daniel Abate-Daga, Moffitt Cancer Ctr., and Mireia Guerau-de-Arellano, The Ohio State Univ. Col. of Med.
- Juliet Morrison, Univ. of California, Riverside, and Natalie Steinel, Univ. of Massachusetts, Lowell
Postdoc to PI
- Angela Rasmussen, Univ. of Saskatchewan, Canada, and Jose Guevara, Moffit Cancer Ctr.
- Gianna Hammer, Duke Univ. Sch. of Med., and Lisa Denzin, Rutgers Univ.
- Shari Pilon-Thomas, Moffit Cancer Ctr., and Laura Santambrogio, Englander Inst. of Precision Med. and Weill Cornell Med.
Building Networking Skills
- Yina Huang, Geisel Sch. of Med. at Dartmouth, and Jennifer Grier, Univ. of South Carolina Sch. or Med., Greenville
Biotech and Industry
- Rea Dabelic, 10x Genomics, and Sadiye Rieder, Horizon Therapeut.
- Kiyomi Komori, Arena Pharma., and Agata Bartczak, Horizon Therapeut.
- Yue Liu, Ab Studio, and Louis Gonzalez, Shattuck Labs
- Shaoquan Ji, BioTimes, and Karsten Sauer, Repertoire Immune Medicines
- Aliyah Weinstein, Taconic, and Christie Mortales, Neoleukin Therapeut.
- Seng-Lai (Thomas) Tan, Immunitas Therapeut., and Yibing Wang, BeiGene (Shanghai) Res.
- Dwight Morrow, Rubius Therapeut., and Bo Lin, Nexcelom Biosci.
Embracing Your Authentic Self and Becoming a Confident Scientist
- Gwen Randolph, Washington Univ. Sch. of Med. in St. Louis, and Sarah Gaffen, Univ. of Pittsburgh
Tackling Gender Biases in Recruitment, Research, and Leadership
- Dorina Avram, Moffitt Cancer Ctr., and Marion Pepper, Univ. of Washington
Careers in Government Agencies
- Swinburne Augustine, Envrn. Protection Agcy., and Michelle Robillard, Envrn. Protection Agcy.
- Jose Conejo-Garcia, Moffitt Cancer Ctr., and Courtney Malo, Sci. Translational Med.
Opportunities for Scientists in Non-profits/Foundations
- E’Lissa Flores, Hlth. and Envrn.Sci. Inst.
Careers in Science Policy
- Lauren Gross, AAI
Grant Writing for PIs
- Meera Nair, Univ. of California, Riverside, and Jie Sun, Univ. of Virginia Sch. of Med.
Grant Writing: Fellowships
- Paulo Rodriguez, Moffit Cancer Ctr., and Melissa Brown, Northwestern Univ. Feinberg Sch. of Med.
Research from M.D.-Ph.D. Perspective / The Physician Scientist
- Maureen Su, Univ. of California, Los Angeles
Careers in Veterinary Immunology
- Mercedes Gonzalez-Juarrero, Colorado State Univ. Col. of Vet. Med. and Biomed. Sci,and Brina Lopez, Midwestern Univ.
- Weishan Huang, Louisiana State Univ. Sch. of Vet. Med., and Henrique Borges da Silva, Mayo Clin.
- Damian Maseda, Univ. of Pennsylvania, and Jacques Robert, Univ. of Rochester Med. Ctrr.
Building Productive Mentor/Mentee Relationships
- Virginia Shapiro, Mayo Clin., and Edith Porter, California State Univ., Los Angeles
Balancing Teaching Responsibilities with Research NEW!
- Julie Jameson, California State Univ., San Marcos, and Michelle Swanson-Mungerson, Midwestern Univ.
How to Negotiate for Better Self-promotion
- Keke Fairfax, Univ. of Utah Sch. of Med., and Henrique Serezani, Vanderbilt Univ. Med. Ctr.