Postdoctoral Fellow in mRNA/LNP Immunology
Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
At Ultragenyx, we fundamentally believe that taking real impactful action to care for the needs of patients and our people is always the right thing to do. To achieve this goal, our vision is to lead the future of rare disease medicine. For us, this means going where other biopharma companies won’t go – challenging the status quo and creating a new model that advances our field so more patients and caregivers can benefit from life-changing treatments. We do this by following the science, applying a novel rapid development approach, making innovative medicines at fair and reasonable prices, and creating a collaborative ecosystem to reach patients in ways that are most meaningful for them.
Our commitment and care for patients extends to our people, so culture is an essential cornerstone for Ultragenyx. We remain continuously focused on creating a supportive and inclusive environment of profound learning and growth – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where we would be proud for our family, friends and children to work.
If you want to have a meaningful impact, do the best work of your career, and grow a lot, both professionally and personally, come join our team. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are committed to the health and safety of our employees and prospective employees, which means at this time our interview processes may include virtual discussions, interviews, and onboarding. Please note that compliance with local regulations and safety protocols is a condition of employment at Ultragenyx. Elements of safety protocols may include, but are not limited to: work from home requirements, regular or symptom-based covid testing, providing valid evidence of vaccination, mask wearing, and physical distancing.
US based roles: Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Ultragenyx. This requirement applies to almost all roles at Ultragenyx based in the U.S., with very limited exceptions. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a disability, serious medical condition, or because it would violate your sincerely held religious belief, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Roles based outside the US: If the role requires travel to the US or another country that requires evidence of covid vaccination for entry, candidates and employees will be required follow the local regulations and corporate policy regarding vaccination evidence submission.
An open position for a postdoctoral fellowship in mRNA/Lipid Nanoparticle (mRNA/LNP) Immunology is available in the Pharmacology/Toxicology Department at Ultragenyx Pharmaceuticals. The successful applicant will lead a project to characterize the molecular mechanisms of immune responses against mRNA/LNP therapies. The successful applicant will oversee and conduct experiments in mouse models to test novel formulations to help improve immunologic outcomes. The applicant will also be part of a team to characterize mRNA/LNP biodistribution and delivery. The applicant should have a strong background in immunology, with extensive in vitro and in vivo hands-on experience. The candidate must demonstrate scientific productivity, creativity, and independence with publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals and strong letters of support.
- Lead a project to characterize and understand the molecular mechanisms of immune responses against mRNA/LNP therapies.
- Be part of a multidisciplinary team that develops and tests novel formulations in delivery of mRNA/LNPs.
- Evaluate utility of novel mRNA/LNP therapies and delivery mechanisms through a critical evaluation of the scientific literature and by attending scientific conferences and symposia.
- Oversee orders and efficiently manage a budget allocated to lab work.
- Conduct mouse genotyping and colony management for mouse model of disease
- Lead and/or contribute to filing of patent applications based on body of work and inventions
- Author relevant manuscripts for publication in high-impact journals and present work at conferences or symposia.
- May contribute scientifically and technically to the preparation of regulatory documents.
- PhD in Immunology or related discipline including Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology or Biochemistry
- Experience conducting in vivo experiments
- Strong background in innate signaling pathways, including complement, TLR and/or NLRP signaling is preferred.
- Experience in the following areas is also desired: cell culture, lipid biology, design and delivery of mRNA/LNP vaccines or mRNA/LNP therapeutics.
- Drug delivery experience with nanoparticle delivery or viral vectors is preferred
- Demonstrable evidence of a high level of independent, creative, and critical thinking skills
- Highly effective verbal, written communication, and presentation skills
- Enjoys working in a matrixed, dynamic, fast-paced work environment
- Record of publication in high-impact or subspeciality scientific journals and/or conferences
Full Time employees across the globe enjoy a range of benefits, including, but not limited to:
- Generous vacation time and public holidays observed by the company
- Volunteer days
- Long term incentive and Employee stock purchase plans or equivalent offerings
- Employee wellbeing benefits
- Fitness reimbursement
- Tuition sponsoring
- Professional development plans
* Benefits vary by region and country
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities and for qualified disabled veterans in job application procedures, as required by applicable law. If you have any difficulty using our online application system and need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact Talent Acquisition by calling: (415) 483-8800 or by emailing us at email@example.com. For electronic email and mail inquiries, please include a description of your requested accommodation, your name and contact information.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.